The Mission of the Billings Symphony Orchestra and Chorale
Founded as the Billings Symphony Society in May of 1951, the organization’s mission is to enrich lives through music. Today that mission remains the driving force behind the Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale (BSO&C).
This season, Music Director Anne Harrigan, along with the 135+ members of the BSO&C will present an annual season from September through June, featuring six subscription concerts, Top Brass, a special chamber concert, two performances of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Ballet, a New Year’s Eve concert, our annual Family Concerts, and our free Symphony in the Park concert.
Each season, the BSO&C performs for tens of thousands people throughout south central and eastern Montana and northeastern Wyoming, and help introduce music to children, youth, adults, and seniors through Explore Music!, the BSO&C’s music education and community engagement program.
2015 – 2019 Strategic Plan
Over the course of a year, the Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale developed a new strategic plan. This document will guide our organization over the next five years with six key initiatives:
- To perform the highest quality music in the region
- To develop new and broader audiences through Explore Music and other outreach efforts
- To engage, maintain, and expand our family of supporters
- To build the visibility of the Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale
- To generate adequate revenue to make BSOC’s Strategic Initiatives possible
- To increase the organizational capacity
To achieve these initiatives, the strategic plan further details specific goals, milestones, and metrics. To learn more about the plan and our future ambitions, please read the full document: BSOC _15 Strategic Plan final